Monday, September 2, 2013

Starting a pattern...

 One of the most difficult things for a self-employed designer/artist is scheduling. I'm a workaholic, so I can easily do a 70-90 work week between dance, art, and design. But I also tend to over-focus on one area - whatever feels most pressing. Which may get things done, but throws me off-balance and makes me resent whatever I'm working on - NOT GOOD.

 So now we're trying a new schedule that gives set times for design projects, for working on dance, and for working on art. And art is getting the largest time-slot, with the most amount of play. Why? Because I need it. I'm still going to be working probably 10 hour days (except when traveling of course), but I'm splitting up the work load and my brain processes, which makes things go faster, and makes me FEEL better. So I'm going to try and post in this blog 3-5 times a week on the average, documenting whatever I'm working on, art-wise (or design if I can share it).

 First off is 3 photos of a mixed media piece I started on Sunday, September 1st. It is a work on heavy rag paper, 22" by 12". Media includes pencil, charcoal, pen, ink, gesso, acrylic, iridescent medium. I did not start with anything specific in mind, and I let the shapes create the subject, which took the form of a Sphinx.

At the moment, the title that comes to mind is "What She Knows"
 




No comments:

Post a Comment