Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Minotauress

I have had a life-long obsession with labyrinths, and a fascination with Minoan culture & Crete...so when I faced the other half of the sheet of paper that was the pair to "What She Knows" featuring a Sphinx, I contemplated showing the Sphinx from another angle, but my mind wandered to other half-woman/half animal creatures....and so the Minotauress was created:
 
Again, the paper is 12" wide by 22" high. (The original sheet was 32" x 40", but I had torn some off to make some smaller works for a friend.) Base layer is walnut ink and colored pencil.  Then my hibiscus-rosehips tea made an interesting proposition, so I added it in - which turned from magenta to indigo after sitting on the paper in about a minute, which was cool.  Additional layers created with acrylics, more colored pencil, and pastels. 



No comments:

Post a Comment