Thursday, September 12, 2013

Musings

I'm very excited about the artwork I have been creating...and I would like to start focusing on getting the new work out there - create enough of a body of new work for a show, get it out in galleries and such, get new prints made, submit my artwork to publications - the whole kit and kaboodle.
"Baladi II Series: Backbend" Mixed Media on Paper

But we're also going to be on the road for dance-and-music projects for most of October, and busy with
personal stuff in November, so not much time for art-making...and the dance aspect is definitely another variation of art-making for me....the costume creation, the performance concept, the movements and presentation.

But there's not quite the same satisfaction in the result of that process as a tangible piece of artwork. You can capture photos and video of dance...but it's not the same as seeing the dance live.  A piece of visual artwork....while it's not quite the same to see it on a website or in a print magazine, I believe it holds its power more.  Dance for me, relies more on that physical manifestation of energy between the dancer and the audience....and I have yet to see a video of a performance that comes ANYWHERE as close to the energy transfer as the live performance.

On the upside, as long as I can see, as long as I have hands....I will be making art.  Heck, I'd paint blind and with my toes if I had to....

No comments:

Post a Comment