Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cardboard Box Magic

Not letting this blog lag!

I've been pretty busy lately doing custom work for clients, so I haven't had a lot of time to focus on my own artwork. And the studio got really messy, so last night I got it back into shape, and now I'm ready to work.

But what I need to actually work on doesn't involve the more usual 2D formatting...I'm in the midst of a special secret project that is very much 3D...and involves a very large cardboard box. I don't think I've worked magic with cardboard since college.  My freshman year, in 3D class with Eddie Oates, we had to make a violin out of cardboard - however we couldn't use tape or glue, and it all had to be a single piece of cardboard if you took it apart again.  Sounds impossible, but it's quite a fantastic challenge for using your brain and strengthening craftsmanship. (I ended up making a miniature violin out of watercolor paper, because I'm crazy.)

Luckily I can use tape and glue and attach pieces as needed with this, but I need to it to break down easily as well...so it has its challenges.

Alas, no pictures yet, until the secret is revealed.  Which will be on October 4th, at the Columbia City Theater, at this show!  And yes, I did the art for the flyer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment